Search

Tottenham festival axed as costs rise - but carnival is still on

17:06 25 May 2011

The carnival parade goes on - but the festival has had to be shelved. Picture: Tony Gay.

The carnival parade goes on - but the festival has had to be shelved. Picture: Tony Gay.

Archant

Organisers behind the Tottenham Carnival and Festival have been forced to cancel the festival after delays and red tape led to soaring costs making it too expensive to run.

Up to 8,000 revellers were expected to attend the all-day event, which marks the end of the carnival procession in Bruce Castle Park and was due to host a music stage, family entertainment, a Mannings fun fair and food and drink stalls.

The carnival parade through Tottenham will continue as planned on June 18, but police and council officers ensured the festival’s plans were called in for scrutiny by a licensing committee over security concerns, after Haringey Police said they would not patrol inside the grounds this year. This delayed vital bookings, said carnival committee chairman Nicky Price.

He said: “We are not demoralised, but we are gutted. There were a number of issues. Number one, the cost has jumped up dramatically because the extra security, extra fencing and toilets tipped us over.

“We had everything booked and ready to go but [our suppliers] can’t hang on forever.

“For example, we had to go elsewhere for a smaller stage - for more money. Glastonbury have got all our toilets now, and even the fairground has been moved to another venue.”

He said putting the festival on would have left the committee “£10,000 adrift”, adding: “We have worked all year for this event, and it is not easy to get the money in - I’m begging. We are letting the people and the businesses down in Tottenham. There are people who have booked holidays to come to the carnival. It is a shame we have had to put up the white flag on this one.”

He said he felt concerns could have been resolved in meetings with the police, council and other parties without it going to committee. “We are a very professional organisation but we are all volunteers in a community group. But I am the chair. If we haven’t got it right then I haven’t got it right. It falls on me.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Thursday, May 28, 2015
Ochaine Williams. Picture: PA Archive/Press Association Images.

Haringey Council has come under fire for failing a teenage killer who stabbed a stranger to death in the street.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Cleared: Sgt Demetrios Orros

A police sergeant walked free from court after being cleared of groping and sexually harassing a junior colleague while on duty in Haringey.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Jamel Collymore.

A Tottenham teenager who was caught after leaving a blood-covered mobile phone at the scene of a burglary has been sent to a young offenders’ institution.

Friday, May 22, 2015
Diana Hogyinszki

A Tottenham woman has escaped an immediate prison sentence, after being found with a stun gun.

Most read news

Competitions

Time to expand with the LeefiBRIDGE.

More iOS memory in a flash: Introducing Leef iBRIDGE.

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Tottenham Journal e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder