Search

Fire alarm repair caused power cut that stopped Alexandra Palace election count

16:48 04 May 2012

A power cut delayed the start of the count at Alexandra Palace this morning

A power cut delayed the start of the count at Alexandra Palace this morning

Archant

A power cut that brought the mayoral election count at Alexandra Palace to a halt this morning (Friday, May 4) was caused by fire alarm repair work.

The chief executive of Alexandra Palace and Park Trust, Duncan Wilson, described the 16 minute power outage as regrettable.

But he said the announcement of the mayoral election result is not likely to be delayed as a result of the power loss.

Contractors were testing the fire alarm system when power cut at 7.52am this morning - eight minutes before the election count was due to start. It was restored 16 minutes later.

Mr Wilson said: “We’re still looking into exactly what happened. I think it was the testing of a system that triggered the loss of power, which it wasn’t supposed to do.

“These things happen, it was certainly not something would have expected to happen. Obviously it’s regrettable that it did happen when it did, but we’re investigating the circumstances at the moment.

“But as I understand it the people doing the count managed to re-jig their procedures to make up any lost time.

“I don’t think the loss of power will have a significant impact on the final declaration time.”

He said contractors were carrying out repair work to part of the fire alarm system.

“It’s regrettable,” added Mr Wilson. “But until I know the facts there’s not really much more I can say. I know that all the staff concerned with the count are doing a fantastic job to carry on the counting regardless.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Thursday, May 28, 2015
Ochaine Williams. Picture: PA Archive/Press Association Images.

Haringey Council has come under fire for failing a teenage killer who stabbed a stranger to death in the street.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Cleared: Sgt Demetrios Orros

A police sergeant walked free from court after being cleared of groping and sexually harassing a junior colleague while on duty in Haringey.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Jamel Collymore.

A Tottenham teenager who was caught after leaving a blood-covered mobile phone at the scene of a burglary has been sent to a young offenders’ institution.

Friday, May 22, 2015
Diana Hogyinszki

A Tottenham woman has escaped an immediate prison sentence, after being found with a stun gun.

Most read news

Competitions

Time to expand with the LeefiBRIDGE.

More iOS memory in a flash: Introducing Leef iBRIDGE.

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Tottenham Journal e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder