Mark Duggan’s mum says wait for inquest is “heartbreaking”

17:11 28 January 2013

Mark Duggan

Mark Duggan


Mark Duggan’s mother today said it is “heartbreaking” that she will have waited more than two years for the inquest into her son’s death.

Originally the full hearing into the 29-year-old’s death at the hands of armed police was due to open today, but it is now not expected to begin until September.

Speaking after a pre-inquest hearing at North London Coroner’s Court, Pamela Duggan questioned why there had been such a long delay.

Her son was shot by armed police in Tottenham, north London, in August 2011. His death sparked riots across London, which also spread into other cities.

Today Judge Keith Cutler ruled that a full inquest into his death will start in September this year, and that the delay was “regrettable”.

Mrs Duggan said: “I hope it stays in September because I want to know how he died. I don’t know why it was delayed but I don’t think it should have been so long.

“It’s heartbreaking for me, he’s my son. It’s taken me a lot of courage to come here today. He was only 29 and he was killed and he’s got children.

“I’m not very well but I’m strong, Mark’s keeping me this way.”

Her sister Carole said that the family need to know what happened so that they can move on with their lives.

She said: “We need a result. We all need to be able to move on in our lives, not that it’s ever going to be the same again.

“We’ve been given assurances, so we’ll see. Everything’s there for the case to go along.”

She slammed police watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) as “lax”.

The court heard today that the IPCC’s report on what happened is not yet complete.

She said: “They’re very lax about how they go about things, quite incompetent. We’ve never trusted the IPCC.”

Mr Duggan’s brother Sean Hall said: “We’ve been waiting for a thorough investigation and it seems that all we’ve been given so far is a fob-off. We’re no closer to knowing what has happened to our family member.”

In court, Leslie Thomas, representing Mr Duggan’s girlfriend Precious Douaihy, said “basic” investigations had not yet been carried out.

He told Judge Cutler: “It is absolutely shocking to find ourselves here today and to hear your counsel saying that there are further investigations, basic investigations, to be conducted such as a reconstruction and forensics.”

His feelings were echoed by Michael Mansfield QC, who is representing the Duggan family.

He told the hearing: “They feel very simply that they have been seriously let down from the beginning.”

Another pre-inquest hearing is due to take place on March 28 at the Royal Courts of Justice, followed by the inquest in the autumn.

Addressing the delay, Judge Cutler said: “This is clearly very regrettable.

“Mr Duggan’s family and loved ones had every reason to expect a speedy investigation into his death. They also have every right to have a full and thorough investigation.”

Counsel to the inquest Ashley Underwood QC said: “Mr Duggan’s death was clearly untimely and tragic. It resulted from being shot by the police and so is a matter of some public concern.

“It’s the death which is widely held to have been the catalyst for the riots of 2011 and so it’s a matter of national importance.”

Latest News Stories

Tuesday, September 22, 2015
One Direction fans queue in the rain to see their idols later this evening. Picture: Twitter/@sweetlarryhugs

One Direction fans proved they will do almost anything to be first in line to see their popstar idols – even wait for hours in the rain on a gloomy day in Camden.

Sunday, September 20, 2015
This message was posted outside of Tottenham Hale station (Photo: Shulem Stern)

The Victoria Line was closed this evening between Walthamstow Central and Seven Sisters after a woman was hit by a train at Tottenham Hale.

Friday, August 28, 2015
The fancy dress dodgeball competition is set to come to Finsbury Park next weekend.

The UK’s biggest fancy dress dodgeball festival will arrive in Finsbury Park for the first time next weekend.

Monday, August 24, 2015
Two full days of Tube strikes were planned for this week (Photo by Matthew Lloyd/Getty Images)

The Tube strikes due to take place this week have been called off by all three unions but more action has been announced for September 8 and 10. Unite and RMT unions, with the TSSA expected to follow suit imminently.

Most read news


You won't need to fork out for groceries for a while!

Asda, one of the country’s leading supermarkets, prides itself in being one of the cheapest places to shop, so you can be sure that your money will go a long way here!

Shop till you drop!

Here’s your chance to treat yourself to a new wardrobe and a whole lot more with this MyOffers competition to win an incredible £2,500 to spend at Primark on whatever you like!

Digital Edition

Read the Tottenham Journal e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder