Search

London Riots anniversary: Prince Charles and Camilla return to Tottenham

11:17 10 February 2012

The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall wear

The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall wear 'I Love Tottenham' badges during their visit to the area today.

PA Wire/Press Association Images

The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall surprised Tottenham shoppers today as they visited businesses targeted in last August’s riots to see how they are recovering.

The royal couple began their visit at the new Post Office where they met Tottenham MP David Lammy and Haringey Council’s chief executive Kevin Crompton.

They last visited Tottenham in August shortly after the riots, and returned on the sixth-month anniversary of the third night of rioting that spread across the nation. Camilla said: “It’s very nice to be back again.”

Traders shared their experiences of the riots and how they have coped since with Charles and Camilla as they visited the Pride of Tottenham pub and the site of the former Carpet Right building, which became a vivid symbol of the unrest as it was gutted by fire.

The Prince of Wales’ charity, Business In The Community, brought business connector Kay Horne into the area to share her expertise and help small projects access funding to get started.

Ms Horne, 35, had managed the Waltham Cross branch of Sainsbury’s before being parachuted into Tottenham a fortnight after the riots. Since then she has helped link charities and community groups with businesses.

She said: “I think the future for Tottenham looks bright so it’s an exciting place to be.

“Trade is still significantly down along the High Road. What is really exciting is that there is a view to make real changes in Tottenham.”

She challenged Tottenham’s reputation as a “riot-stricken place” and said: “It is a great place - I can’t say that enough. I think people were afraid when they heard I was coming to Tottenham two weeks after the riots. [But] there are so many great people [here].”

She added: “There is some way to go and much of that is around building confidence.

“They need to get those businesses that were burnt down back open so that it will increase shoppers in the area.”

Ms Horne has secured £600,000 of grants for Tottenham’s small traders from the High Street Fund, set up to help riot-stricken businesses.

High Street Fund founder, Sir William Castell, also met the royals at the Pride of Tottenham pub and Cllr Alan Strickland joined them on the High Street during their tour.

3 comments

  • Thank you for covering the Tot visit of Prince Charles and Camilla. We need to work more closely with the local traders who are a big source of info and support as they know the community very well. The traders inturn need all the support as their voices are not heard because they do not have a vote. Moaz Nanjuwany Chair Tottenham Traders Partnership. Optometrist Hammonds Eye Practice 546 High Rd N17 9SY 0208 808 3327 Eye Practice Seven Sisters 715 Seven Sisters Rd N15 5JT 0208 800 7238

    Report this comment

    Moaz Nanjuwany

    Thursday, February 9, 2012

  • Excellent news that His Royal Highness and Her Grace have been able to come back to tottenham to see the remarkable recovery that is taking place. The Tottenham spirit is probably unbreakable and it is great to see the action that all the authorities and private interests are taking to restore confidence and build a better community. Historically, Tottenham was one of the most important towns in Middlesex and it has a grand future ahead of it.

    Report this comment

    JCW

    Friday, February 10, 2012

  • Many thanks for covering the visits to Tottenham of Prince Charles and Camilla who have always been genuinely socially conscientious royals. Their visits in the wake of the riots and after are not simply token gestures of support but sincere attempts on their part to both reassure and tangibly help our community. I'm always wary of the motives of visiting politicians and dignitaries but the good-intentioned royal couple will always be warmly welcomed to Tottenham.

    Report this comment

    Roger Belmar

    Saturday, February 11, 2012

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Latest News Stories

18:12
Ian Campbell outside Hendon Magistrates' Court. Picture: Polly Hancock.

A man who threatened to burn down a bus packed with Jewish women and children has been jailed for five months for his anti-Semitic tirade.

Eastenders star Rudolph Walker supports the campaign.

A health campaign to highlight the greater risks of middle-aged black men developing prostate cancer has been launched specifically targeting Haringey, one of six boroughs where the cancer rates are above the national average.

Kevin Fenton

The national director of health and wellbeing for Public Health England on the facts behind prostate cancer - which kills nearly one in 10 black men.

Hit and runs have risen across the capital.

Almost one pedestrian a week was injured in a hit and run in Haringey last year, new figures reveal.

Most read news

One pilot is dead and another seriously injured after the craft exploded over the Mojave desert.

One pilot has died and another is seriously injured after a rocket belonging to billionaire Sir Richard Branson’s space tourism venture crashed during a test flight. Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo rocket came down in the Mojave Desert in California. An eyewitness reported that the craft exploded in flight after ignition. A Virgin Galactic spokesman said the […]

Another two men were taken to local hospital with serious injuries.