Search

Tottenham eyesore transformed into homes

08:00 24 March 2012

An artist

An artist's impression of the new building in Philip Lane.

Archant

A Tottenham eyesore has been restored to its former glory and transformed into 12 homes for local families.

The trouble-prone pair of early Victorian villas in Philip Lane lay vacant for years after fire, abandonment and subsequent problems with fly-tipping and antisocial behaviour.

Despite being in a conservation area, the properties were eventually served a dangerous structure notice.

But now the former bed-and-breakfast guest house stands proud after a compulsory purchase order from the council kick-started its regeneration, which was then taken on by three housing associations.

The buildings were gutted and rebuilt, communal gardens were added and the facade was painstakingly restored with the help of the local authority conservation team.

Matthew Bradby, chairman of the Tottenham Civic Society, said the development shows a commitment to high-quality investment in Tottenham’s regeneration.

He said: “It would have been a tragedy if this historical structure had been ignored.

“Derelict buildings have a negative effect on people’s perception of an area and they especially depress inhabitants. I am delighted these issues have been addressed.”

The one to three-bedroom flats for rent and sale will now be viewed by tenants selected from the local authority housing register, as well as by prospective purchasers.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Friday, August 28, 2015
The fancy dress dodgeball competition is set to come to Finsbury Park next weekend.

The UK’s biggest fancy dress dodgeball festival will arrive in Finsbury Park for the first time next weekend.

Monday, August 24, 2015
Two full days of Tube strikes were planned for this week (Photo by Matthew Lloyd/Getty Images)

The Tube strikes due to take place this week have been called off by all three unions but more action has been announced for September 8 and 10. Unite and RMT unions, with the TSSA expected to follow suit imminently.

Thursday, August 13, 2015
Commander David Musker said the Metropolitan Police 'regrets' the fatal shooting of Dean Joseph following a hostage siege

A Metropolitan Police commander has said the force “regrets” the killing of a man who was shot dead after taking his ex-girlfriend hostage and extended sympathy to his family.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015
The flashr targeted women on the Northern line between Camden Town and Euston

London Underground drivers will not be joining two fresh strikes later this month over the night Tube dispute.

Most read news

Competitions

Happy viewing!

MyOffers are giving you that chance to win an amazing Samsung 55” Curve HD TV.

Get ready to take in the beautiful sights of London from above!

Are you always seeking unique ways to see your favourite city? This one is for you.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Tottenham Journal e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder