Search

Primary school places: Haringey parents ‘feel let down’ by council

15:27 26 April 2012

Anita Shah and daughter Keya. Picture: Tony Gay.

Anita Shah and daughter Keya. Picture: Tony Gay.

TONY GAY at tonephote@aol.com

After 42 Haringey children were left without a primary school for next year following last week’s allocation of places from Haringey Council, the Journal spoke to the parents of a couple of these children about their fears and frustration.

Anita Shah, 35, above, and her husband Samit, 34, of Cranley Gardens, Muswell Hill, applied to three Haringey primary schools in the search for a school place for their four-year-old daughter Keya this September. But Keya was not accepted by a single one.

“We have three schools within 0.3 miles of our house; we shouldn’t need to go outside of that,” said Mrs Shah.

“We are happy to send our daughter to any of the schools but we didn’t get into any. What are we paying our taxes for if we can’t get our kid into a local school?

“No-one has attempted to explain to us what has gone wrong – the council offer very little reassurance.

“I think there is a serious lack of communication – it is unclear who is accountable for all of this. Who gets the blame for this?

“I think the process needs better communication and better accountability of who is in charge and what the plan is for the next five years.”

Another parent, who did not wished to be named, of Princes Avenue, Muswell Hill, did not receive a single school place for his son despite applying to six Haringey schools.

He said: “There are people three buildings down from us who moved in two years ago and they got their two daughters into Rhodes Avenue Primary School.

“We’ve been in the area 12 years and I was born in Muswell Hill. You start to think, ‘What is going on?’ How can they get their two twins into a school of 90 places but then we don’t get our son in when we are 0.3 miles away from the school?

“We’ll probably end up being offered a school that is not performing, that people don’t want to send their children to.

“I’ve paid my taxes for 40 years, I just feel there is a huge injustice. We brought a child into the world and we wanted him to go to our local school. We just feel all sorts of emotions – we feel seriously let down.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 19:02
Jamel Collymore.

A Tottenham teenager who was caught after leaving a blood-covered mobile phone at the scene of a burglary has been sent to a young offenders’ institution.

Friday, May 22, 2015
Diana Hogyinszki

A Tottenham woman has escaped an immediate prison sentence, after being found with a stun gun.

Thursday, May 21, 2015
(Photo by Cate Gillon/Getty Images)

Good news for rail travellers - the bank holiday train strike that was set to bring London to a ‘standstill’ has been called off, it has just been announced.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015
Mary Langan from SASH.

A group that was set up at the beginning of this year to fight against cuts to autism services in Haringey has expanded its remit to fight similar cuts across the capital.

Most read news

Competitions

You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Time to experience the dizzy heights of London's tallest attraction!

Morgan Pryce, commercial property experts based in London are offering one lucky reader the chance to win a pair of tickets to The Shard viewing platform in the city itself.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Tottenham Journal e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder