Search

Plans for new Tottenham school halted after academy provider pulls out

15:00 14 September 2012

AESE managing director Stephanie Pinnock.

AESE managing director Stephanie Pinnock.

Archant

Plans for a new combined primary and secondary school in Tottenham have been dealt a major blow after the charity chosen to run the school pulled out just a month after being given the go-ahead.

In July, the Department for Education (DfE) approved plans by academy provider Harris Federation to set up the new school from next September with the Academy of Entrepreneurship and Sporting Excellence (AESE), a group of parents, teachers and residents.

But following a disagreement between the two groups last month, the Harris Federation have now decided to pull out of the deal to provide a school for four to 19-year-olds.

A Harris Federation spokesman said the organisation were “delighted” to have been given DfE approval in July but since then it had “become clear” that “AESE have changed how they would like the school to be developed”.

Stephanie Pinnock, managing director of AESE, said the group wanted to deliver a “free school” with a “unique selling point”.

She explained: “Harris wanted to deliver their standard school, it was turning out that it was going to be a bog standard academy and that was not what was required in this community.

“We want to work with the community with the school being an integral part of redeveloping Tottenham.”

AESE have now been given until October to submit a new application to the DfE for a free school in Tottenham.

Ms Pinnock said the group were still determined to deliver the school on their own from next September and had received a letter of support from the DfE.

However, a DfE spokeswoman said the proposal was “now fundamentally different from the one that was assessed and approved as a joint one with Harris”.

She added: “We need to be certain that, without the support of Harris, AESE has the capability, capacity and expertise to deliver a school of the size proposed.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 14:36
A 24-hour strike will take place from Wednesday evening

Unions will go ahead with a 24 hour strike at London Underground from Wednesday evening in a row over the night Tube, said Aslef.

Yesterday, 12:17
A 24-hour strike will take place from Wednesday evening

One of the unions representing London Underground workers has already rejected an offer aimed at averting a fresh strike over the new all-night Tube.

Thursday, July 16, 2015
The innocent bystanders were shot in a dispute that had nothing to do with them (Google Street View)

Nine people arrested over the shooting of two innocent bystanders in a violent dispute in Lordship Lane, Wood Green, have been bailed - six of whom were stopped by police at Gatwick Airport.

Monday, July 13, 2015
The new 24 hour strike is set for August 5 (Picture: Getty)

London Underground drivers will stage another 24-hour strike from 9.30pm on August 5 in a dispute over the new all-night Tube, the Aslef union has announced.

Most read news

Competitions

Get your hands on some fresh trainers!

Need some new shoes to head to work or some new heels for a night on the cobbles? London24 has teamed up with online retailer Sole Trader to offer £100 worth of shoes to one lucky reader.

Take in the stunning sites of London from the summit of the O2!

Up at The O2 has teamed up with London24 to give one lucky reader the chance to experience urban mountaineering this summer with an exhilarating 90-minute climb across the roof of one of London’s most iconic landmarks.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Tottenham Journal e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder