Search

Downhills governors removed by Education Secretary

12:01 15 March 2012

The board of governors at Downhills has been removed

The board of governors at Downhills has been removed

Archant

Education Secretary Michael Gove has removed the board of governors at Downhills Primary School.

The governors - who opposed plans to turn the Philip Lane school into an academy - were removed a week after a damning Ofsted report, which claimed the school was incapable of improving.

The Department for Education has installed an interim board of its own choosing.

A DfE Spokesperson said: “Downhills has been underperforming for several years and Ofsted has now found that the school requires special measures. They have found that the school is failing to give its pupils an acceptable standard of education and that those responsible for leading, managing and governing the school do not have the capacity to secure the necessary improvement.

“We have therefore decided to appoint an interim executive board to give the school the leadership and expertise it needs to improve.”

The spokesman said their preferred sponsor for Downhills is the Harris Federation - which will also be running Coleraine Park Primary School, Glendish Road, from September.

A spokeswoman for the Harris Federation said: “Our charity has a track record of establishing outstanding schools across London that are popular in their communities.

“We do understand that there are some at Downhills and in the wider community with reservations about Academy status.

“If we are invited in as sponsor, we would work with parents, pupils and staff to make sure everything that is already good about their school is kept as it is whilst also providing the support they need to improve in the areas highlighted by Ofsted.”

More to follow.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

06:45
Cleared: Sgt Demetrios Orros

A police sergeant walked free from court after being cleared of groping and sexually harassing a junior colleague while on duty in Haringey.

Yesterday, 19:02
Jamel Collymore.

A Tottenham teenager who was caught after leaving a blood-covered mobile phone at the scene of a burglary has been sent to a young offenders’ institution.

Friday, May 22, 2015
Diana Hogyinszki

A Tottenham woman has escaped an immediate prison sentence, after being found with a stun gun.

Thursday, May 21, 2015
(Photo by Cate Gillon/Getty Images)

Good news for rail travellers - the bank holiday train strike that was set to bring London to a ‘standstill’ has been called off, it has just been announced.

Most read news

Competitions

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Tottenham Journal e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder