May 22 2013 Latest news:
by Flora Drury
Monday, July 2, 2012
A killer who slit a Tottenham man’s throat in a drunken street brawl is facing a life sentence after admitting manslaughter.
Mohammed Mohammed, 30, was due to go on trial at the Old Bailey for the murder of 23-year-old Clarence Larteh - who died of a single stab wound to the neck - but entered a guilty plea to manslaughter on the day the jury was due to be sworn in.
Witnesses claim to have seen Mohammed, of Weir Hall Road, Tottenham, sharpening his blade on the pavement before lashing out at his victim, who also lived in Tottenham, at around 9.15pm on May 27 last year.
Ghanaian-born Mr Larteh was pronounced dead at the scene, in Stoneleigh Road.
Judge Charles Wide adjourned sentencing until September 7 to allow reports to be prepared to assess whether the killer poses a danger to the wider public.
He said: “Obviously the court will be considering an indeterminate sentence of some kind.”
Prosecutor Michelle Nelson said those involved had consumed “quite extensive amounts” of alcohol at the time of the killing.
Mohammed was remanded in custody ahead of sentencing.