Search

‘Riot burglary’ trial collapses over evidence

07:00 12 May 2012

The case against Deniz Tosun collapsed.

The case against Deniz Tosun collapsed.

Archant

The prosecution of a man accused of burglary during last year’s riots has collapsed due to a lack of evidence.

Deniz Tosun, 28, of New Villas, Baronet Road, Tottenham, was accused of stealing electrical goods from the Electronic Centre in High Road on August 6.

But after a review of police evidence against Mr Tozen by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), the case was discontinued during a hearing at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on April 27.

A CPS spokesman said it “has a duty to continually review cases,” adding: “Following a further review of this case in light of further evidence from the police we concluded that there was not enough evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction. The case was therefore discontinued.”

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 12:15
Controversial: Plan would open up colonnades in Palace's East Wing

Managers at Alexandra Palace have defended plans to refurbish the former BBC studios and Victorian theatre in the building’s crumbling east wing after conservationists said the scheme would cause “irrevocable” to damage its historic character.

Thu, 15:48
Haringey Council wont say where the death occured Picture: Katie Collins/PA Archive

A vulnerable man at risk of choking is thought to have died after being left to eat unsupervised, sparking a drastic retraining programme in Islington and Haringey.

Thu, 11:45
Hornsey and Wood Green Liberal Democrat MP Lynne Featherstone

The MP for Hornsey and Wood Green gives her views on a long-term solution for tackling extremism in our neighbourhoods.

Wed, 18:44
Ambrose Ball, also known as Jay, has gone missing

Police are growing increasingly concerned for the welfare of missing Tottenham man, Ambrose Ball, also known as Jay, who was last seen after his car was involved in a crash on Saturday.

Most read news

People thought the Deputy Prime Minister was pretty funny actually.

Brothers: The David Haines Story, will be broadcast on BBC Radio Scotland at 10.30am on Sunday.

Over £30,000 has been raised in a couple of days for a mugging victim, despite the goal only being set at £500.