Search

Nightclub shoot-out: Tottenham man’s killer jailed

16:49 21 September 2012

Murder victim: Patrick Ford was shot outside the Sugar Lounge

Murder victim: Patrick Ford was shot outside the Sugar Lounge

Archant

Two men have finally been jailed for their part in in an early morning shoot-out described as an “affront to civilised and peace-loving society” which left a Tottenham man dead.

Sentenced: Michael Smith was found guilty of murderSentenced: Michael Smith was found guilty of murder

Patrick Ford, 36, of Waltheof Gardens, died where he fell after unemployed David Smith, 28, shot him in the chest outside the Sugar Lounge in Forest Gate in the early hours of May 29, the Old Bailey heard.

Smith had already shot Eugene Brown, 27, in the head - showing scant regard for the partygoers spilling out of the club after Mr Brown had fired four shots into the ceiling. Mr Brown died later in hospital.

Mr Ford’s associate Kevin Powell, 37, then “took the law into his own hands” and chased Smith through the quiet suburban streets, shooting him repeatedly at point blank range staining his white suit red.

Smith only escaped after managing to dive into the open window of a car. His friends later dumped him at the hospital, where he made a full recovery - enabling the two men to be tried together.

Sentenced: Kevin Powell was found guilty of attempted murderSentenced: Kevin Powell was found guilty of attempted murder

Judge Brian Barker, the Common Serjeant of London, could barely hide his disgust with the violence, which broke out after a birthday party and left the pavement covered in blood and bullet casings. He said: “To have a case of three guns and two bodies after an extraordinary escape from the jaws of death, is an affront to civilised and peace-loving society.

“This was a brutal and callous use of powerful weapons in London streets with a complete indifference to the results.

“These were acts of revenge done in the streets with complete disregard for the public.”

Judge Barker jailed Smith, 28, of Canning Town, for a minimum term of 34 year after he was found guilty of two counts of murder.

Student Powell, of Harlesden, was also jailed for 34 years for attempting to murder Smith, following a retrial.

Speaking after the sentencing, investigating officer Det Sgt Paul Considine, of Trident, said the image which emerged in the wake of the incident was a “shocking one” of young men with “little or no regard for the lives of those around them”.

He added: “Here lethal weapons are being used as accessories to a night out. Sadly the combination of dangerous armed individuals that had consumed alcohol and drugs led to a frightening incident that resulted in two men losing their lives and another being seriously injured.

“We can only be thankful that the incident happened in the early hours of the morning otherwise many more innocent victims could have been caught up in this tragic and pointless incident.”

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 19:01
Dennis Pearce was last seen on Monday December 22 at 2.30pm [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

Haringey borough police are appealing for the public’s help to find a 12-year-old boy who has gone missing from Tottenham.

Yesterday, 17:21
Alison Williams has been missing from Wood Green since December 9.

Police are growing increasingly concerned for the welfare of a Wood Green woman who disappeared from her home and hasn’t been seen for almost two weeks.

Yesterday, 11:02
Alexandra Palace

Bosses at Alexandra Palace who are slowly turning its commerical fortunes around have agreed to a £500,000 cut in the grant from Haringey Council used to plug its finances.

Friday, December 19, 2014
Sedat Meric was cleared of attempted murder but convicted of possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life.

A man who opened fire on a Tottenham pool hall in a revenge attack - then turned his gun on armed police - has been cleared of attempted murder.

Most read news

Janey Godley was caught up in the major road incident at George Square today, and gave her testimony of what she saw.

The former QPR and Burnley player was reportedly involved in a serious incident involving a lorry in North Yorkshire.

Ringo Starr, Bette Midler, Steven Tyler and Boy George are among the many musicians paying tribute to the Sheffield singer.

People are paying tribute after the rock and blues legend Joe Cocker has passed away.