Search

London riots: Tottenham man admits inciting violence on Facebook

18:32 20 March 2012

Terry Balson faces up to four years in jail

Terry Balson faces up to four years in jail

Archant

A young man is facing up to four years in jail today after he admitted using Facebook to incite disorder during the London riots.

Terry Balson, 20, now of Landsdowne Road, Tottenham, but previously from the Harringay Ladder, set up an open page on the popular social networking site called ‘For the riot (f**k the feds)’ which could have encouraged a riot, burglary, criminal damage or arson, Wood Green Crown Court heard.

Balson is believed to be the first person charged with inciting rioting in the capital.

He created the page on August 9 last year, three days after violence, looting and arson broke out in Tottenham and spread across London.

Defending, Harriet Benson said Balson had a history of mental health problems and was autistic.

She said: “He has received counselling for some time until recently.”

Adjourning sentencing for medical reports, Judge Simon Carr warned him: “Custody is inevitable. The tariff sentence is four years and the question is whether anything in the medical reports can reduce that sentence.”

Unshaven and wearing a blue sweater and grey t-shirt, Balson, spoke only to confirm his name and admit a single charge of incitement to riot. He was remanded in custody until sentencing on May 8.

Latest News Stories

Thursday, July 16, 2015
The innocent bystanders were shot in a dispute that had nothing to do with them (Google Street View)

Nine people arrested over the shooting of two innocent bystanders in a violent dispute in Lordship Lane, Wood Green, have been bailed - six of whom were stopped by police at Gatwick Airport.

Monday, July 13, 2015
The 24 hour strike is set to cost businesses £300 million (Picture: Getty)

London Underground drivers will stage another 24-hour strike from 9.30pm on August 5 in a dispute over the new all-night Tube, the Aslef union has announced.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015
(Picture:PA / London24)

Ten years ago today, London was rocked by a horrific terrorist attack which killed 52 people. The incident is etched on the memory of the city. Today London24 will be curating this live blog, rounding up coverage from across the capital and bringing you stories of incredible courage and inspiration.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015
Catherine West, MP for Hornsey and Wood Green.

Hornsey and Wood Green MP Catherine West launched a campaign today to save the iconic Marks & Spencer’s store on the Wood Green High Road after plans were announced by the company to close the store.

Most read news

Competitions

Get your hands on some fresh trainers!

Need some new shoes to head to work or some new heels for a night on the cobbles? London24 has teamed up with online retailer Sole Trader to offer £100 worth of shoes to one lucky reader.

Take in the stunning sites of London from the summit of the O2!

Up at The O2 has teamed up with London24 to give one lucky reader the chance to experience urban mountaineering this summer with an exhilarating 90-minute climb across the roof of one of London’s most iconic landmarks.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Tottenham Journal e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder