London riots: Tottenham man admits inciting violence on Facebook
PUBLISHED: 18:32 20 March 2012
A young man is facing up to four years in jail today after he admitted using Facebook to incite disorder during the London riots.
Terry Balson, 20, now of Landsdowne Road, Tottenham, but previously from the Harringay Ladder, set up an open page on the popular social networking site called ‘For the riot (f**k the feds)’ which could have encouraged a riot, burglary, criminal damage or arson, Wood Green Crown Court heard.
Balson is believed to be the first person charged with inciting rioting in the capital.
He created the page on August 9 last year, three days after violence, looting and arson broke out in Tottenham and spread across London.
Defending, Harriet Benson said Balson had a history of mental health problems and was autistic.
She said: “He has received counselling for some time until recently.”
Adjourning sentencing for medical reports, Judge Simon Carr warned him: “Custody is inevitable. The tariff sentence is four years and the question is whether anything in the medical reports can reduce that sentence.”
Unshaven and wearing a blue sweater and grey t-shirt, Balson, spoke only to confirm his name and admit a single charge of incitement to riot. He was remanded in custody until sentencing on May 8.