Search

‘High risk’ Tottenham gangster bids to be freed from jail

10:08 14 November 2011

Mark Lambie was jailed for 12 years in 2002 for the kidnap and torture of two men.

Mark Lambie was jailed for 12 years in 2002 for the kidnap and torture of two men.

Archant

A criminal known as the “Prince of Darkness” has launched a legal bid to be released from prison - despite a finding that he poses a high risk to the public.

Tottenham’s Mark Lambie, 40, was on Operation Trident’s “most wanted” list when he was jailed for 12 years at the Old Bailey in 2002 for the kidnap and torture of two men in north London.

Lambie, who was famously cleared of the murder of PC Keith Blakelock during the 1985 Broadwater Farm riots, was released from jail on licence in 2009, but recalled after he was linked to an alleged blackmail incident in Manchester.

From his jail cell in HMP Swaleside, in Kent, Lambie is now claiming a parole board decision to keep him in prison is “irrational” and he should be freed.

In its decision, the parole board described how Lambie’s gang kidnapped two men in 2001 and took them to a flat in Tottenham, where they were hit with a hammer. The prosecution also alleged they were burnt with an iron and had boiling water poured on their genitals.

After serving half of his sentence, Lambie was released on licence in 2009, but was returned to prison less than a year later after he was linked with a blackmail allegation in Manchester, for which no charges were brought.

Rejecting his case for release in October last year, the parole board found: “You are assessed as posing a high risk of harm to members of the public.”

Lambie, who has 42 previous convictions, is now applying for a judicial review of the parole board’s decision not to recommend his release.

His High Court case is due to be heard by a senior judge next month.

Latest News Stories

Fri, 15:04
The fancy dress dodgeball competition is set to come to Finsbury Park next weekend.

The UK’s biggest fancy dress dodgeball festival will arrive in Finsbury Park for the first time next weekend.

Mon, 17:04
Two full days of Tube strikes were planned for this week (Photo by Matthew Lloyd/Getty Images)

The Tube strikes due to take place this week have been called off by all three unions but more action has been announced for September 8 and 10. Unite and RMT unions, with the TSSA expected to follow suit imminently.

Thursday, August 13, 2015
Commander David Musker said the Metropolitan Police 'regrets' the fatal shooting of Dean Joseph following a hostage siege

A Metropolitan Police commander has said the force “regrets” the killing of a man who was shot dead after taking his ex-girlfriend hostage and extended sympathy to his family.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015
The flashr targeted women on the Northern line between Camden Town and Euston

London Underground drivers will not be joining two fresh strikes later this month over the night Tube dispute.

Most read news

Competitions

Shop till you drop!

Home to top name brands at great prices, TK Maxx is more like a treasure hunt than a shop. Perfect for grabbing a bargain or some hidden gems, you arm yourself with a trolley and go wild.

Scones, jam and a cup of Earl Grey anyone?

Luxury boutique hotel Flemings Mayfair has recently launched The Drawing Room, London’s most stylish location for afternoon tea.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Tottenham Journal e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder